Vocal Ensemble at Sibelius Summer Academy - Sibelius Summer Academy
Vocal Ensemble at Sibelius Summer Academy
Course cancelled and postponed to 2021
COURSE POSTPONED TO SUMMER 2021
The Vocal Ensemble at Sibelius Summer Academy has been postponed to Summer 2021. Stay tuned on our website for more details later.
One of the world’s foremost vocal groups, Theatre of Voices visited the Sibelius Summer Academy already in 2019. The ensemble will teach at the Sibelius Academy, Uniarts Helsinki again in August 2020.
The following members of Theatre of Voices will be in Helsinki in August 2020:
- Paul Hillier, artistic director of the Theatre of VoicesElse Torp, soprano
- Signe Asmussen, mezzosoprano
- Paul Bentley-Angell, tenor
- Jakob Bloch Jespersen, bass-baritone
Theatre of Voices was established by Paul Hillier in 1990 in the UK. It now has its permanent base in Copenhagen, Denmark. The ensemble is known for its extensive repertoire of contemporary music, often juxtaposed with early music. Its programmes feature many of the most eminent composers of recent times, including Kaija Saariaho, Heiner Goebbels, Berio, Pärt, Reich, Cage, Gudmundsen-Holmgreen and Stockhausen, while among its current favourite ‘early’ composers are Perotin, Dowland and Buxtehude.
Course fees and description
We particularly welcome applications from ensembles. Ensembles are encouraged to bring their own repertoire and will be expected to have prepared all material in advance. It is also possible for individual singers to apply, and we will endeavour to place you in suitable groups. But as we cannot guarantee finding ensemble partners for all, you are strongly encouraged to form an ensemble, apply as a group and bring prepared repertoire, if possible.
To aid and inspire your repertoire choices, a selection of vocal works will be made available. One shared focus throughout the week will be the sacred works of William Byrd and all ensembles are requested to include one work by Byrd in their repertoire. Your repertoire can also include music from the earliest polyphonic music right up until the present day.
Course fees (to be paid when you are accepted to the course)
- 280€ per member if applying as part of an ensemble
- 300€ if applying as an individual
- 15€ per day or 50€ per week for observers
The course fee includes:
- 2 daily lessons of 50 minutes each per ensemble, one lesson may be a tutti session with other groups observing
- Group lessons where all participants observe Theatre of Voices’ teaching and sing in a large ensemble
- At least one performance during the course. All ensembles will perform in the concluding concert. In addition, pop-up concerts where participating ensembles have the opportunity to perform their repertoire will be organised in the Helsinki Music Centre and possibly also in other venues during the week; the performers for these will be selected by Theatre of Voices.
- Observers are welcome. They may sit in on all classes but do not participate.
Application deadline is on 3rd of April. Please note that also the Uniarts students are required to enrol through the same application form.