Uniarts History Forum
About the Forum
Uniarts Helsinki's History Forum is one of the research profile areas defined in the strategy of the University of the Arts Helsinki, or Uniarts Helsinki (2017 to 2020). It promotes the research of the history of music, in particular, but also of other arts. It also supports networking between researchers working in the field both in Finland and internationally, and helps their integration into the field of historical research. One of the History Forum’s key tasks is to strengthen methodological competences in historical research and to provide information about current research practices and new ways of utilising sources in the research of historical topics. The Forum is also an inspiring community for scholars and teams in the planning stage of research projects. The Forum always hosts researchers working with funding from the Forum itself, but it also functions as a hub that connects Uniarts Helsinki’s research and artistic staff and project researchers supported by external funding.
Examples of Uniarts Helsinki's History Forum’s activities:
- Thursday forums approximately once a month, with Finnish and international experts as keynote speakers. Thursday forums also include a seminar open to doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers of history.
- A series of opera lectures and a seminar, in collaboration with the doctoral school DocMus.
- Training events related to the skills required by historical research e.g. databases, old handwriting styles)
- Coordinating the teaching of historical research.
- The Forum keeps an email list for sending out information about conferences, lectures, grants, public defences of doctoral theses, and publications related to history research.
Networking, a collegial feeling and agile operations are the Forum’s key characteristics: the Forum strives to offer resources, training, guest speakers and lecturers requested by its members.
Professor Anne Kauppala (head of the research center) and a team of experts plan and guide the activities. Team members: