Call for artworks & papers
Call for artworks & papers for an exhibition and Research Days related program at the KuvA Research Days in December 2019 in Helsinki organized by the Academy of Fine Arts at the University of the Arts Helsinki. Tapahtuman kielet sekä suomi että englanti – the event will use both Finnish and English.
Deadline for applications March 10th, 2019
Kun koen kokeilen – kokeilen kun koen.
Kokemus ja kokeellisuus taiteellisessa työskentelyssä ja tutkimuksessa
I Experience as I Experiment – I Experiment as I Experience.
Experience and experimentality in artistic work and research
Call for artworks & papers
The Academy of Fine Arts invites doctoral students, doctoral alumni/alumnae, postdoctoral researchers, staff members and visiting researchers of the University of the Arts Helsinki to exhibit and present a work of art as well as a text at the Exhibition Laboratory gallery in Helsinki in November/December 2019.
The medium of the artwork is free, it can be a physical artwork or a time-based work, a finished work, version, demo, performance etc. The text can be in Finnish, English or another language. The suggested length is 1–5 pages; it may not be poetry.
The work and text should in some way discuss how or/and why you involve pieces of art into your research. What is your experience and experimentality in researching with artworks?
Are artworks needed to solve confusion and to illustrate thoughts in artistic research? Or are they needed to create confusion? Do they have a purpose? What is the origin of an artwork, what is the need for making it?
What is the status of the artwork in artistic research? Is a focus on how to do research sufficient in art education at the university level? What about how to do research with artworks? We wish to address these issues by investigating momentary experiences (elämykset, Erlebnisse) and experience as something accumulated over time (kokemus, Erfahrung) in the everyday activities of artists involved in art making, artistic research and teaching.
The participants of the exhibition will also take part in one program day of the KuvA Research Days, which will be held at the Exhibition Laboratory gallery. In this way the artworks and the papers come together. The texts will also be published in a printed “notebook”/pamphlet.
Exhibition and one day program at the KuvA Research Days, schedule and venue
- Date of the exhibition 27.11.–11.12.2019
- Installation of exhibition 25.11.–26.11.2019
- Taking down of exhibition 12.12.2019
- KuvA Research Days 9.12.–11.12.2019
- The call is for one day of the KuvA Research Days. The exact date will be confirmed later.
- Texts ready for publication 15.10.2019
- Venue of the exhibition and KuvA Research Days: Exhibition Laboratory gallery (Merimiehenkatu 36, Helsinki)
- 1st meeting of the participants in April 2019
- 2nd meeting in autumn 2019
The participants are offered the possibility to take part in a taught workshop in autumn 2019 on the theme of the exhibition, organized by the KuvA Doctoral Programme.
Who can apply?
A doctoral student, doctoral alumnus/alumna, postdoctoral researcher, staff member or a visiting researcher of the University of the Arts Helsinki
You want to:
- exhibit your artwork. The medium is free, it can be a physical artwork or a time-based work, a finished work, version, demo, performance etc.
- participate in the program of the KuvA Research Days by presenting a short paper or statement. The text cannot be poetry (the artworks can of course contain text or language too). The text and your talk can be in Finnish, English or another language. The text must be ready for printing by 15 October 2019.
If you agree with these conditions, please:
Write a three-sentence statement on why and how you want to participate. Send this statement together with your name no later than 8.3.2019 to Denise Ziegler, postdoctoral researcher, curator of the exhibition and the research day event, at the address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The selected participants will be notified by 5 April 2019.
Possible transportation of artworks or travelling costs in Finland will be negotiated beforehand with the participants. Participants who are not employed by Uniarts Helsinki will receive a lecture fee; the sum will be settled beforehand. The artworks are insured during the time of the exhibition.
In 2019 the KuvA Research Days are organized for the 5th time.
Exhibition Laboratory Gallery: www.exhibitionlaboratory.fi/home
For questions about the call for artworks and papers please contact:
Denise Ziegler, postdoctoral researcher, Academy of Fine Arts of Uniarts Helsinki